Best Selling Mountain Bike Under $500
Mountain biking is a complete workout, where one gets to enjoy the outdoors and explore the paths less taken. This is quite different from traditional cycling, as you choose a rough terrain to work upon with a set of challenges on the way. While on a mountain trail, there are a few aspects that one must take care of before embarking on the adventure.
Cycling or bike riding is a much-preferred activity in the Asian and African countries, where people go to work, markets, and schools by cycling all the way. However, in the European countries, bike riding is considered more of a recreational activity. At these places, people plan trips and go for an adventure on a wild mountain terrain on their bikes. This allows one to feel nature and wilderness at its best, all the while putting to test one’s survival instincts as well.
But, this is not all. When you go bike riding, there are few factors that need to be taken care of like selecting the best mountain bike under $500. The first one being the proper handling of the bike and how to manage a few basic repairs if needed on the way. Also, for a safe trip and to make the most of the experience, one must also take into consideration the purchase of a good bike from a reputed brand. This goes a long way in ensuring your safety, offering you comfort while adventuring and also reliability in the long run. Be it a beginner or an experienced biker, one needs to ensure that their machine is on their side when chasing the wild.
Best Mountain Bike Under $500
1. Schwinn Bonafied Mountain Bike
- The Schwinn bonafied mountain bike features an aluminum mountain frame and a powerful Schwinn...
For a completely fun ride, this mountain bike is equipped with safety and advanced features. The aluminum mountain frame and the powerful suspension fork have been designed to rule-out the bumpy ride. The bike also includes alloy cranks which are great for maintenance and also offer a long-time partnership with your favorite ride.
- Includes 24 speed Shimano EZ Fire trigger Shifters
- Includes double-wall alloy rims that are designed for improved durability
- The wheels are 29 inches in diameter
- The bike includes durable Schwinn Alloy cranks for ready gearing and good maintenance
- Lifetime warranty included
- Established brand from a reputed company
- Light-weight and durable, allowing easy maintenance.
- Offers steady gearing
- Shipped ready to assemble
- No Allen tool included when shipped
- Problems in the rear derailleur reported in a few cases
- The frame cable clips need attention
A good bike from a long-time reputed brand which ensures a quality ride along tough terrain. A few issues have been reported, but a good budget buy if you are looking for a basic yet reliable bike.
2. Huffy Mountain Summit Ridge Mountain Bike
- Assembly tutorial video located beside the images; with a Denim Blue hardtail frame and 21 speeds to...
Ranked at the #8 by the Sports & Outdoors on the list for the best mountain bikes, the Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike is perfect for users above the age of 13 years. One of the best in delivering a good performance, this bike has been designed to run through tough terrains. Being lightweight and equipped with seat adjusting features, the bike is a great buy for users of all types. Also, the front suspension offers easy to balance on uneven trails which makes great value for beginners when on an adventure.
The technical details
- Features 26″ X 1. 95″ Knobby tires
- Includes indexed SHIMANO TZ-31 rear derailleur
- Offers 21 Speeds, and a durable steel frame.
- Features ATB-type resin pedals
- Includes kolo 1200 suspension fork
- Comprises of features that are designed to handle bumps and dips
- Has a microshift twist shifter perfect for uphill, downhill and accelerated rides
- Has linear pull hand brakes for safe stopping action.
- Comprises of removable rear derailleur guard
- Needs to be assembled when delivered
- Problem with handlebar reported
- Needs extra maintenance in a short time
This is a good bike for those who are experienced in terms of biking and also managing minor servicings required. This bike might need some extra care and fittings, which makes it not recommended for beginners. However, as it is a good value for money, you can go for it, if you can manage the maintenance aspect of the machine.
3. Best Full Suspension: Mongoose R2780 Impasse
- Aluminum suspension frame maximizes comfort & performance
This is quite a good-looking compact-design mountain bike with all the features required for a safe ride. The machine is manufactured from one of the most well-known brands which believes in customer satisfaction. Ranked at #15 by Sports & Outdoor on the list for the best mountain bikes, the Mongoose R2780 is a reliable adventure partner. With the complete Aluminium suspension frame, this bike is sure to offer you a ‘joyride’ all the way.
The technical details:
- Includes Aluminium suspension frame for ultimate in comfort.
- The Element suspension fork helps smoothen the bumps along the way
- It also includes the 21 Speed Shimano rear derailleur along with SRAM twist shifters.
- The bike has Alloy wheels along with a quick-release front.
- Reputed brand
- Safe features for a comfortable ride included
- Includes Alloy front the rear disc brakes
- Good quality on a budget
- Good suspension on all trail types
- Is shipped semi-assembled
- The manual is not easy to follow
- No hydraulic dampening included in the element front fork
- The rear shock can use some improvements
This is a good-looking bike from a reputed brand, if you are one of those full-fledged bikers looking for some easy-on-the-pocket action. You might need to wheel your machine to the local bike shop for the final adjustments, but that is alright if you need to ensure the proper fittings. If you need to upgrade, you can do so easily in the future with new fittings as per requirements.
4. TIANMI Steel 21 Speed Bicycle Full Suspension Mountain Bike
This is a cool-looking bike with a futuristic design. With an ultra-smooth finish and smooth fittings, this model is a perfect choice if you have a long way of unlimited adventures on unpredictable trails. This particular model also includes certain advanced features that make it a much-preferred choice for the seasoned biker who loves an uninterrupted long expanse of adventure with a tough bike for the company.
The technical details:
- The bike comprises a 26-inch 6-spoke stylish rim.
- Includes the Front and rear disc brakes
- Comes with free pedals and seats
- Includes Shimano’s Derailleur and the Shimano’s EF500 3 * 7 Shifter.
- Comprises of Frame / Fork: 31.8 bold front fork
- The frame is of hIgh Carbon Steel
- Also featured is the Tolan disc brake / MTB brake lever
- Lightweight design with good fittings
- Cost-effective and easy on the budget
- From a reliable brand
- The product is stylish, making it an instant choice for the younger crowd
- Includes advanced suspension, making it a safe choice for beginners
- The product is a good choice if you are going for a more rough terrain
- The product is not for beginners
- You might want to get the fittings done by a professional before the first ride
- Control-issues on steep slopes have been reported in a few cases
This is a good-looking bike from a reputed brand that ensures safety and quality in its every make. The bike is a great choice if you have rough terrain and need a reliable machine to ride on. With the advanced features this is a comfortable choice. However, you might want to make sure that you have had previous experience in riding before you climb up on this machine. Overall, a great buy on a budget but not the perfect choice if it is your first time.
5. Huffy Escalate 21 Speed Hardtail Mountain Bike
- Assembly tutorial is located in the related video shorts section; ideal for ages 12-19, a...
Made from the lightweight Aluminium frame, this bike is easy to manage and offers improved rolling momentum. This mountain bike is a perfect choice for children aged between 12 years to 19 years of age and comprises 27 inches of the inseam. The front suspension incorporated in the design allows the rider to practice on the terrain of any type, thus making this a preferred choice for many.
The technical details
- Comprises of an all-SHIMANO drivetrain
- Also included are the Shimano EZ fire Plus Trigger and SHIMANO TY-300 indexed rear derailleur
- Offers 21 speeds of easy shifting and absolute control
- The design includes the knobby 26″ X 2. 10″ Tab tires which navigate through the path with ease
- Also included are the ATB-type resin pedals and the Crayton grips
- Ranked at #2 in Mountain Bikes for the list of the best bikes
- The instruction manual is easy to follow
- Lightweight, making it easy to use by all users
- The ‘shifts’ are great and derailers do not drag
- Easy to assemble
- Value for money
- Issue with the handlebar has been reported in a few cases
- The bearings need attention before use
- Might need to be assembled again before use by a professional for a safe ride ahead
This is a good bike within the range that is offered, making it a popular choice amongst users of all types. As it is lightweight and easy to manage, it can also be controlled easily when riding, making it a safe bet. While the brand has been around for quite some time, the quality can be banked upon. However, one might want to get a professional to check it one final time before you take off on your adventure.
6. Mongoose Malus Fat Tire Bike
- Steel mountain-style fat tire frame
This is the all-cool supersized beach cruiser with the mighty 26-inch wheels. The 7-speed Shimano Drivetrain along with the Shimano rear derailleur makes it a good choice for long rides on tough trails. As Mongoose is a reputed brand, it takes special care in ensuring safety features and durable fittings which are designed to serve a long-time partnership.
The technical details
- The tires are 26-inch fat
- The tires are 4 ¼ inches wide.
- Includes a steel cruiser frame.
- Offers 7 speeds with twist shifters along with Shimano rear derailleur
- Threadless headset includes with adjustability
- The low gears are great for beginners and fitness freaks to start at a slow pace.
- Cost-efficient and good quality
- Great for challenging trails
- It requires less effort when navigating steep trails
- Not well-packed
- Needs to be greased before first use
- Might need upgrading with new fittings for advanced use
The bike is a good-looking yet efficient machine designed for more challenging trails. While a few adjustments and upgrades might be required as per your needs, yet this is a quality buy on a budget. If a good balance and easy-to-control navigating purposes are what you are looking out for, then this is the perfect bike for you.
7. Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bikes
- Durable mountain bike designed for trails and neighborhood rides
This is a great-looking bike with a basic outlook design and a great finishing. The mountain-style frame and the Schwinn suspension fork makes it perfect for the responsive and a safe riding experience. This bike can be taken along for the mountain trail as it comprises strong alloy rims and hub support, which makes it easy to balance and durable. Being easy to maintain and from a trusted brand, this bike is a great riding partner for tougher challenges.
The technical details
- Includes 21-speed Shimano twist shifters
- Comprises of 27.5-inch Knobby tires
- White 18-Inch Frame (L x W x H = 68 x 23 x 41-inches)
- Includes 29″ wheels
- Good breaks included
- Frame made from good-quality material
- Great budget buy
- Can be assembled easily by an expert user
- Front tire is also Quick-Release
- The seats are not that comfortable
- The derailers do not shift as expected
- The chain guard not efficient enough
This is a good bike with easy assembling required. If your requirement includes you to ride on tough and challenging mountain terrains, this is the best buy for you. However, there are few ‘safe fittings’ that will be required before you hit the road. Overall, a good buy within a reasonable budget from a reputed brand. Go for it if you need a ‘tough guy’ over the mountains with you.
8. Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike
- Women's-specific fit 6061-T6 aluminum alloy frame with lower stand over
One of the best mountain bikes for the woman who loves her adventure just as much as her domestic life. The design and the overall look of the bike has been made keeping in mind the needs and the comfort for the female rider, to ensure maximum support and comfort throughout. It takes foresight for a reputed brand to take into consideration the specifications for a female rider and her freedom to explore, something that Diamondback has just managed to accomplish.
The Technical Details:
- The overall body is made from Women’s-specific fit 6061-T6 aluminum alloy
- Also features the Sram GX single-serving drivetrain for a safe ride
- The easy-to-adjust RockShox Judy Silver to 120mm fork is also included for added comfort for long trails
- The machine comprises of Rockshox Judy Silver to 120mm fork
- For easy handling, also featured is the 27. 5” wheels
- Perfect design specially made for the female rider
- The overall body frame is lightweight and easy to handle
- Comes semi-assembled
- Also included are advanced safety features that make this bike a much popular product amongst the female users
- Comes with all the tools required for assembling
- Easy assembling can be done without the help of any professionals
- The saddle needs attention
- The pedals are not strong enough
- The shifters and the break bodies are merged, making replacement a tough task
- The drive train can also have certain issues, as reported by some users
This is one of the most preferred products, as it caters to the needs of the female riders. While most mountain bikes are great, however, they are not suited to support the female body frame and can cause disbalance or accident in certain cases. This particular bike from a reputed brand is a perfect choice if you need to travel for an adventure on a reliable machine.
9. Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle with Suspension Fork 24-Speed
- 🚲 Front suspension forks design smooths bumps while biking and increases control for fluid riding
The Merax Mountain bike is a perfect riding partner if you have an adventure to embark on but are concerned about your safety and comfort. This bike is a perfect choice when it comes to some of the most advanced features that have been incorporated to make your ride a memorable one. While the look is quite sturdy and the design is a cool one, however, the product ensures an overall riding experience that is blissful and traditional.
The technical details:
- Made from Aluminium frame, of size 19”
- The shifter is of Shimano EF500-3/8, 24-Speed
- The design comprises of Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-TY500
- The bike has dual disc brakes
- Also included is the Crank: 1/2*3/32*24T(ED)*34T(ED)*42T(ED)*170 Aluminum
- The pedals are of 9/16“ in size
- The bike is also great for short people
- The overall build is sturdy while the product is lightweight
- Includes all the tools required for assembling process
- Good value for money and a quality product on a budget
- Water bottle holder included
- The front tire can be easily removed to be fitted inside a car trunk while traveling
- There have been reports of replacement parts required
- Might need professional assistance for assembling
- The assembling takes time and patience
The product from Merax provides complete safety as it has 24-speed along with the suspension lockout system. The product is durable and is mostly preferred by those who are planning to buy their first-time mountain ride bikes.
10. Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike
- Conquer any off-road trail with ease with this steel-framed mountain bike with supersized...
This is a one-of-a-kind bike which combines good craftsmanship with great detailing to give you a product which is comfortable and nice. Made from the Aluminium MTB frame, this is a great bike with a sturdy build and is lightweight as well. Along with the floating beam suspension design which is combined to a suspension fork, the bike ensures you a smooth and safe ride on rough mountain tops.
- The bike comprises of 26″ double-wall alloy rims with 36 spokes
- Also included is the Shimano rear derailleur.
- The bike also has Quick-release seat post clamp
- The body is made from Aluminum full-suspension frame
- The design also includes 21 speed Shimano rapid fire shifters
- Also featured are Front disc brake/rear linear-pull brake
- Reputed brand name made from good quality materials
- Comprises full suspension, thus making the ride safe.
- To stop, the design includes disc brakes located both at the front and the rear.
- Assembling is an easy task
- The bike could be longer for added comfort
- Problems with the suspensions have been reported
- The pedal sizes can be increased for added comfort
This is a good bike if you are on a budget. The fittings are good, though not great. You might need to go for certain replacements for more comfort, but the efforts are worth it in the long-run. It is easy to assemble and can be done without the help of a professional. Overall, a good buy if you are not expecting too much, but a good travel partner for a mountain adventure with friends.
The Buying Guide
Mountain biking is a great fun adventure that is endeavored by people from across the globe. It is an experience in itself and offers the rider the freedom to explore the wilderness while still within the comforts of a nice bike. Also, the fitness and the workout needs are met when one indulges on trekking fun on a mountain bike ride. However, when exploring the best mountain bike under $500, one of the most important aspects is a good mountain bike, and this can be accomplished by keeping in mind a few pointers:
- The right size: You might be of any age and height, but a wrong ‘fit’ can ruin all the fun. Be sure to try out the bike before you buy it to ensure maximum comfort.
- The Hardtails or Full-suss: Go for a full-suss, as these are more advanced and offer better support for a long trail.
- The weight issue: While most mountain bikes might advertise that they are lightweight, you might want to test the strength of the machine just as much. You mustn’t end up with a bike that falls apart midway. So invest in a bike which is strong, sturdy, and durable.
- The Showoff: There are the fancy advertisements and sales gimmicks in play that are focused to ensure maximum sales. Do not be fooled by fancy names and no ‘game’. Check out the much-required features and ensure that they work just fine. Do not go for a feature just because it sounds good.
- Go for the Suspension Quality and not Quantity: Before you buy, you need to check the reviews of the forks and the shocks. The original equipment units mostly differ from the ‘copy’ ones. You need to be careful when purchasing to not be fooled by the ‘copycats’.
- The Future is Here: Various brands and manufacturers are dedicated to offering products that are not just needed to cater to the present but also serve the future. Watch out for the current/popular axle diameters and spacing, plus headset, bottom bracket, and even seat post diameters. These go a long way in ensuring you a great experience in the times to come.
While mountain biking is a great experience, one must also take into account the safety that one needs to ensure before they embark on a trial. With the above guide, you can find it easy to get your best mountain bike under $500. Before deciding, be sure to choose your ride carefully, as this can affect your overall experience in a long way. To stay comfortable and safe, it is important to choose a bike of a reputed brand, Overall, be sure to invest carefully on a machine which is reliable and nice. A good mountain bike is a friend for a long time, so choose carefully and wisely.